Friday, July 30, 2010

Tea in the Garden

Oh how I love a sunflower!
Just a few pictures of the garden today, my words are few.

Some of you asked after my Tangerine Tea recipe from my last post. First, I will give you my traditional herbal summer vitamin C recipe. We eat a lot of tangerines during citrus season, I save the peels and leave them to dry to be used in tea blends. Here is one of my favorites:

Vitamin C Tea:

2 parts dried Hibiscus flowers
3 parts dried Tangerine/Orange Rind
1 part dried Rose Hips
1 Cinnamon Stick

Place ingredients in tea strainer. Place tea strainer in a heat safe container (I use a large canning jar). Heat water as you would for tea and pour into container. Let steep for 10 min. and remove tea strainer. Let cool and store covered in refrigerator for up to one week. You can add sweetener if you like.

Picking blueberries

For a really easy Tangerine tea that I have just discovered, Celestial Seasonings came out with a Tangerine Orange Zinger that makes beautiful iced tea! I haven't seen it at all the stores so, you may have to look around.

Tomatoes gone wild!

Sundry Veg and flower

If you prefer a black tea, just steep your normal blend with tangerine peels (fresh or dried) and make into iced tea!

Chooks in the garden

Volunteer Sunflower tall as the house.

Have a wonderful weekend!

10 comments:

Katiebee said...

so sweet of your to share your recipe~ the sunflowers are so pretty

happy weekending~

Cath @ chunkychooky said...

The sunflowers are almost obscene in their brightness- so beautiful , have a lovely weekend.

Sherri B. said...

Thanks for the tangerine tea recipes..I didn't know that Celestial S. had that flavor, I'll look for it...That is a spectacular sunflower and a volunteer at that!...Your garden sure looks great...Have a good weekend.

june at noon said...

When I was a kid my best friend and I dreamed up a plan to plant sunflower seeds in a circle in her backyard so when they grew tall we'd have a hiding spot amongst them. Never actually did it, but it sure would've been a pretty hideaway, from the looks of your lovelies!

crzylady said...

you are a goddess amongst women.. and I mean that in my non-stalker way. but you're just lucky I don't live near you ;) the garden looks amazing and sounds like you are drinking all sorts of yummy things!

Mare said...

Your pictures, your garden and your Girl are just Beautiful!

Mom L said...

Thanks for the lovely photos AND the tea recipes!!! I never would have thought of saving and drying citrus peels for tea.

Nancy in Iowa

diane said...

GORGEOUS SUNFLOWERS! :) :) :)

Unknown said...

The garden looks so lovely and those sunflowers are amazing!! So unbelievably tall- such a magic flower! xo m.

Cut&Alter said...

How lovely to see more of your beautiful garden!! The tea sounds delicious so must try some. Lots of citrus grow over here but alas we have but one very sickly lemon tree on or garden. x