Monday, July 19, 2010

Happy Monday - weekend in review

Well, it was quite a weekend! Full of drama, ups and downs...
Of course it all started with the riveting tale of a runaway chicken who was lost and then found. For today I thought I might just give a little re-cap of the peaks and valleys of our weekend here at the little green cottage.

On the DOWN side:
* Raccoons almost eat a chicken or two, chasing off our beloved Suki to parts unknown.

* A reckless wasp flew into my sandal and before reaching his ultimate end, gave one last painful sting to the underside arch of my foot.

* An even more reckless mouse wandered into the basement, presumably looking for meal and a bed, only to find instead The Buddha Cat. Reaching his ultimate end and deposited into a box of cabbage for later discovery by someone intent on making a batch of kimchi.

* Our long suffering sucker fish was discovered belly up (oh my the bodies are piling up 'round here). He spent all his days meticulously scrubbing the inside of the tank, keeping it tidy and neat. I am choosing to take this as a lesson in what being too fussy about housework can get you.

On the UP side:
* Suki was found and returned to the coop with tales to tell to her feathered friends.

* After ages of not sewing a stitch, I took to my studio and free-handed a tres simple pattern for a summer nightie for Pony Girl. It whipped up in no time, easy peasy ready for that nights post bath cuddle. (As luck would have it, when donned by the girl and told to give it a twirl, she cried! This on the DOWN side of things...however, the next day she wanted to wear it out and about as a dress instead, UP side)
* The garden is full of colorful blooms at the moment, making my heart happy.

* The weather has been perfect, sunny and bright with a cool breeze.

* The Engineer and I went to an outdoor concert of The Avett Brothers and had a tremendous time!

* Sunday afternoon was spent in the back yard with family, guitars, good food and dragonflies.

All in all, it turned out pretty swell and it's good to remember...
You gotta get up to get down!

I hope you all had a good weekend.

Next time, I am very excited to share one of my favorite summer time traditions here at the little green cottage!

11 comments:

Katiebee said...

your vacation photo's were wonderful!

glad you found suki~ thanks much for the chicken info and the link~ still debating the whole chicken thing~coyotes and racoons are the norm here as are red tailed hawks~

the nightie for pony girl is oh so sweet~

Mom L said...

That's a lot of ups and downs! I'm so glad all the ups counteracted the downs. One problem, though - you may have turned me off kimchi forever. I used to love it prepared with beef by the Korean couple who ran a deli in my office building several years ago, and haven't had it since. I don't think I will pine for it anymore, though!!!

Nancy in Iowa

lifeshighway said...

The Pony Girl nightie is very sweet no wonder she wants to wear it as a daytime dress.

Sherri B. said...

I have nothing good to say about Racoons and now the Suki incident just adds one more thing to my list. We tried for 3 yrs. to keep fish in our pond only to have them get to a nice size and then one morning finding pond empty of fish. This year we said no fish...I feel for you with all the down sides to your weekend and I must say you are all real troopers for having a good attitude and finishing up with a good list....Cats are so good about leaving us gifts, we come home to birds brought in dead and alive, how nice. Have a great Monday.

Flaming Nora said...

weekends and family life always seem to lead directly to a mountain range of emotions. Impressive body count though!

TwigandToadstool said...

This is my first visit to your blog...and I just had to comment on your chicken saga. We lost, over the course of 3 weeks, 30 chicks...due to a raccoon!
Of course, it didn't help that our coop door was left wide open, (by a forgetful husband, while I was out on night shifts)!
grrrrrr...
I'm glad that your chicken had a good outcome!
:) maureen

Anonymous said...

ahh yes the Avett Brothers, good stuff!

d

june at noon said...

Hmmm, rollercoaster weekend! Hope the ups were enough to outweigh the downs!

Tania said...

A veritable rollercoaster of a weekend! Glad to hear you're able to finish on the UP side of things and I have no doubt you were clever enough to have proper funerals for all the dead bodies lying about the place (so avoiding 24 hours of loudly mourning child over dead fish etecetera)

Unknown said...

what a topsy turvy weekend. poor mouse! love the little nightie- even if it turns out to be a dress. ox m.

Tas said...

I am sorry about all the bodies (I can sympathise as we have had a couple of the mouse variety around here in past weeks) However, some gems of "ups"...