Wednesday, March 9, 2011

and then along came yellow

Just over a week before Pony Girl's 6th birthday and she 'allofasudden' up and changes her favorite color!

"I loved pink and I cared a lot for purple but then, along came yellow!" She tells me. "It's my favorite color. Oh, and sometimes red."

I wasn't expecting yellow. Blue, green, and sometimes red certainly - but, yellow? O.k. so...those amazing pink curtains I found at the local thrift to re-do your room as a birthday surprise...not gonna cut it.

She's been sick with a fever for a few days now, feeling pretty miserable, so in an attempt to take her mind off the ick, I started asking her about birthday plans.

"I want a yellow lemon cake with yellow frosting all over and maybe strawberries, yes, strawberries." Fine, but I had better give it a trial run as I don't think this girl has ever had a lemon cake in her life. When asked if it would do she said, "It's good but, not those other colors of frosting, only yellow - all over, and strawberries...and not sour."
So, not lemon then. But yellow, definitely yellow.

As she lay in her nest of blankets watching me crochet she asked, "Who is that for?" For you, I answer. "How come it's not yellow?" Because when I started it, pink was still your favorite color. "Oh."

And because she knows that I make her a dress every year for her birthday, she wants a yellow dress. A quick look in my rainbow fabric cabinet reveals a serious dearth of yellow. Oh dear. "Well, it can be Golden then," she says. La dee da!

Oh, speaking of room re-dos for kids, you need to check out the super fabulous and creative room idea that my dear friend over at Schtuff at Home put together for her boys, so awesome!

Well, now that we are firmly in the age of Yellow, I have some pondering to do. And even though it isn't yellow, Pony Girl has decided that her new cardi is good enough to wear to school.



Where Credit is Due:
Urban Girl Cropped Cardigan free pattern by Lion Brand HERE (I added the shell edging on the front to hide my (no matter how hard I try) wonky edges. I used an acrylic worsted wt. yarn in 'Not Yellow'

Lemon Cake Recipe HERE and it is delicious! I did add a squeeze of lemon juice and a tsp. of vanilla extract to the batter which is not listed.

19 comments:

Sherri B. said...

The cardigan turned out great, even if it isn't yellow, and the dress is sooo cute. I love the shy little pose..I remember always changing my favorite colors when I was little, I think I just liked them all and yellow is perfect for spring.

I'm off to check out both links, thanks...Have a great day!

Vintage Tea Time said...

Gorgeous cardi - I want one! And pretty dress. The cake looks yummy too. Well done! Hope Pony Girl's fully recovered. x

lifeshighway said...

Oh the cardigan looks really cute on pony girl. Yellow, huh...she is very creative. Very few girls choose yellow as the all time best color.

Colette said...

Ha! You never know just what is going through their little heads do you. Fancy getting the cardi colour all wrong! It looks mighty adorable though, I'm wondering if my crochet skills are up to a challenge (but it definitely won't be in yellow).
Hope she's better in time for her birthday.

june at noon said...

Kids are so funny! My 4 yo prefers pink, yellow, and white, in that order, so at least I have some variety to choose from (although she likes things best when they have all three).

greenrabbitdesigns said...

Hope Pony Girl's feeling much better, she does look good in her 'Not Yellow' cardigan!
I like a girl who knows what she wants! :)
Vivienne x

Janee Lookerse said...

Lola, That cake looks TO DIE FOR!!!!! I've had lemon cake before...and I know it tastes amazing... and I know that cake looks amazing!!!!! yum yum yum...

xoxo
Janee
yellowbirdyellowbeard.blogspot.com

Cindy Is Crafty said...

There is a local lady here that makes and sells the best pound cakes out of her car. I try not to think what her home and kitchen looks like as her car is trashed! She used lemon jello mix and a can of sprite in it. It is awesome!

On this page is a strawberry jello & 7Up cake recipe:
http://community.tasteofhome.com/forums/t/162865.aspx

Ribbons Undone said...

My Catherine went from pink to purple. "I think purple is my new favorite color," was declared earlier this year!

Love the cardigan and dress ensemble you so painstakingly created for your little one. So beautiful. Thanks for sharing the pattern!

Itchin' Stitchin' said...

Oh I feel for you. When I was Pony Girls age I would change my color every other day - Soon I just said Sparkles since I loved every color so much.

Beautiful job on the outfit!

Tas said...

I have just eased my 3 yo through the "I will only wear pink. pink. pink" phase with success. INto rainbow then red and now it appears pretty much anything. But I admit that I did worry that after the relative safely of pink might follow a lovely favourite colour like vomit brown or puce green. I too would struggle with yellow or even orange in the fabric stash department!

. said...

I'd love you to come along for a walk too... I reckon we'd have fun, chatting up drummers all day long! Nice cake, x

live2create said...

That cake looks reeeeeeally good! :)
I kinda wanna bake something now haha
Maybe you can still use the curtains - have you ever used colour remover and fabric dye? It all depends on the fabric type, but maybe you can change them to yellow?!

redgirl said...

Hmmm. I'm trying to imagine how I would feel after putting in that much time. I suppose it would matter how much time that had been.

Only thing I can think of would to have crocheted some flowers or florets scatter around the bottom portion where the larger holes are.

Unknown said...

You're so crafty! How inspiring.

Yellow is an amazing color. I wish I had the sense to pick it as a favorite when I was as young as she is. I went straight from pink to purple. Hah.

Anyway, the cake, the dress, the cardi... amazing!

Mom L said...

Well, I, for one, can't wear yellow because it makes my skin look nasty! My mother, with her gorgeous light olive skin, could wear yellow and red and loved them both. I have to stick to blue, green and purple. Tell Pony Girl I think she's amazing for having such gorgeous choices!

Wish I could send you the image of 5-year old Diane when she dressed herself for a photo session! All colors, and one of the props was a green phone!

Nancy in Iowa

Flaming Nora said...

Thank goodness for that, I hate pink! Go pony Girl, don't conform to stereotype! Though knowing how fickle children are she will switch back to pink just as the last bit of yellow icing has been artfully arranged on the cake. Hope you are all better now.

mother of purl said...

Such a pretty little cardigan- I'm sure my newly turned 6 year old little girl would love it too! I find she can be very fickle about her favourite colour, but pink is bound to be a sure winner whatever their mood x

Cathie said...

hope you are all good now Miss Pony girl!