Monday, May 6, 2013

All about a sandwich


Yes, that's right. This post is all about a sandwich; and why not? My blog title is "Lola Nova - Whatever Lola Wants" and right now Lola wants a sandwich. This sandwich! Are you thinking to yourself, 'Is she really doing an entire post all about a sandwich, really?' Oh yes I am indeed. It is my new favorite lunch and lunches can be tricky for me, so I get a little worked up when I come up with something good. And this is good.

It goes like this:
Get yourself some farmer's cheese, the spreadable kind. The type I can find locally looks like this...


If you can't find any, you can substitute Neufchatel or Cream Cheese. Then you want to add fresh herbs and... well here, I'll just give you the recipe.

Herb Cheese Spread Recipe
8 oz. Spreadable Farmer's Cheese
2 Tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
A squeeze of fresh lemon juice
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1-2 Tablespoons chopped fresh Italian Parsely
1-2 Tablespoons chopped fresh Basil
1 small garlic clove minced
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all of the ingredients together in a small bowl. Lasts in the fridge for a week.


 Now build the sandwich:
A couple of slices of whole grain bread toasted. (If you are really ambitious and want to bake your own THIS RECIPE is one of my go-to breads. It is very adaptable and tasty.)
Spread a layer of the Herb Cheese Spread on the toasted bread.
Add some thick slices of tomato and avocado. Throw on some sprouts and fresh spinach and voila! Everything a lunch should be, good and good for you.

"Too few people understand a really good sandwich."  James Beard

Oh, and Happy Monday!


13 comments:

Flaming Nora said...

Oh my good grief! I'm packing my bags and coming for lunch.

silverpebble said...

1) Sandwiches are massively underrated
2) I have never heard of farmer's cheese but now need some very badly
3) James Beard is one of the best names EVER
4) I am sending crafty thoughts across the pond

greenrabbitdesigns said...

Mmmmm! Shame you are so far away with all that deliciousness in your fridge. ;)
V x

Penny said...

My kind of delicious! Yum, especially with avocado x Thanks for sharing, I feel hungry all of a sudden!

sustainablemum said...

My tummy is rumbling! Sounds delicious.

Unknown said...

I think I will have to find some farmers cheese. I love just plain old cream cheese with the same add-ons.

chriswreckage said...

Sounds good. Where was this when I sat down for lunch at work today?

Sherri B. said...

The cheese spread sounds truly divine, I'm sure that you should get the James Beard Award for this sandwich..he would have approved!

What store locally do you get the cheese? Perhaps New Seasons?

I love seeing Nancy around blog land again..how fun!


Chrissy said...

My mouth is watering! That sounds like a really good sandwich.

june at noon said...

Oh, wow. It is entirely too early for me to eat lunch, but I sort of want to. (Farmer's Cheese is almost impossible to find around here.)

Ashley cramp said...

Scrumptious....I have a problem eating lunch....but this I would devour in a flash.....can I have a chilled glass of sauvignon with that?
Mmmmmm
Daisy j xx

Unknown said...

Yum! I've been on a bit of sandwich kick myself lately.

Heather said...

looks amazing, I need lunch inspiration at the moment! I was in soup mode for so long! Heather x