Thursday, June 26, 2014

Stitched Journal Project - June

The Stitched Journal Project is: Makers from around the world creating one "page" or piece of work per month and sharing. It is a project to get the ideas flowing, to process the days in a creative way, to try new techniques and to push past fears that keep us from making something.  It isn't about perfection, or getting it "just right," it is about process and perspective.


June has been busy, big, and a little overwhelming. Full of highs and lows... and floods, both literal and metaphorical. The stitched quote in my piece is of course in reference to the 1975 iconic film, Jaws


I used a recycled brown paper bag and worked it until I got the texture I wanted. I printed the boat onto the bag and machine stitched the words next to the print. I really love a good brown paper bag, so many possibilities! 

Even the Engineer likes it, in fact, he wants to make a frame for it out of reclaimed pallet wood - continuing the recycled theme.


Below you will find links to the wonderful makers and their Stitched Journal Project pieces for June. Please keep your eyes on this spot in the next couple of days as more add their links. Be sure to visit them and leave comments!

If you think you would like to join in as well, it's not too late!  We will be sharing our pieces the last Friday of every month at least until the end of the year. We'd love to have you.

All of you wonderful Stitched Journal Project participants please link up below! Remember to add your photos to The Stitched Journal Flickr Group! and be sure to share with Facebook, Twitter, etc!






12 comments:

Unknown said...

This is an amazing piece! I love the 'fabric' of brown paper...and did you know that line from the film was improvised by Roy Scheider? (I'm a big fan of Jaws. And A Room With A View. I'm diverse if nothing else...). Thanks for sharing this awesome work! Chrissie x

Lola Nova said...

Chrissie Crafts. Yes, I did read that somewhere, I changed it from the original line by one word. I love both of those films as well!
xo

chriswreckage said...

An excellent way to make something great from such unfun occurrences.

Anonymous said...

Amazing, I love the way you have pushed boundaries here, all from a paper bag!! Brilliant line from the film, and just love it.

Annie Cholewa said...

I'm loving this one too ... brilliant!

I'm hating that I simply cannot seem to find the time to stitch or even knit much at the moment so can't join back in :( Soon I hope.

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is great, I love the print and text, they work so well together! How did you print the image onto the paper?

Lola Nova said...

Mel Makes, thanks! I printed the image by ironing the paper and cutting it down to A4 size, then simply printed it using my computer printer. Easy Peasy!

Jules61 said...

Very effective, love it

Flaming Nora said...

Love love love it!

Unknown said...

Love a boat theme, sorry it sounds like you needed one! Please share the framed version!

Simona said...

It is pretty! Nice idea and very neat (as always :-D). Simona

FROM CINTHIA said...

This is wonderfully beautiful ! What technic did you use to print the boat ?
Cinthia