Monday, November 3, 2008

Fall Fling


So, I have a new infatuation. I am teaching myself to embroider. I needed something new for winter, something that would keep me occupied while also having the added advantage of being portable. I've only been at it for a couple of days now and I'm not very good at it yet. I need many more practice hours to feel proficient. This picture is of my first attempts, just to get a few stitches down. The photo itself is a bit blurry, my camera has been acting out, or maybe the photographer is a little blurry instead. Perhaps when this is finished I will make it into something else; I can always use a new potholder. I am finding the act of embroidering rather calming and meditative, with only the occasional mutterings of frustration under my breath. I wonder how long this fling will last. The whole crochet affair of 2006 only lasted a season. We shall see.

1 comment:

Claire MW said...

Wow! I love your embroidery work, especially the bird! I can't really believe you are new to it - you look very proficient. I have done some in the past, but then I turned to counted cross stitch because I like the preciseness of it. I am better at precise than imaginative. Looking forward to seeing more of your winter embroidery!