Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Final Countdown


Good Gravy! It is one week to the day, to Pony Girl's 5th birthday! FIVE! Incredible, no don't worry, I wont go on and on about how they grow up so fast, even though it is indeed true. I will say however, that I am in a bit of a panic. There is ever so much to prepare and make and do and yes, I've left it all until the last minute. To be fair though, I have been a bit diverted by other things and infirmities have taken their toll.

Lets see...what all needs doing?

Pony Girl has requested a "Rainbow Pegasus Party!" Uh, sure? With a Pinata...ok? So, whilst I am uncertain how all that plays out, there are invitations to make, decorations to make (because surely the party store is out of rainbow Pegasus(what is the plural of Pegasus?)), securing a place to have the party (our tiny house can't hold the gaggle of children and parents who might attend without it turning into a full scale riot), and then the food which will be needed to keep those children and parents from starting said riot. A week to go, no problem right?

image from here

At least we have the cake chosen. Now when it comes to cake, I've found that there are cake people and then there are frosting people. I am a cake person, I like the cake for itself and too much overly sweet frosting must be removed from my cake so as not to spoil it. I'm not against frosting, I just like it a little less sweet and in small amounts in proportion to my cake. Pony Girl is definitely a frosting person. In fact, in the past, frosting gets licked off of the cake/cupcake and the actual cake gets left behind. Recently we have discovered that she adores carrot cake, both cake and frosting are consumed with great enthusiasm. As a side note: those of you who believe that carrot cake is a healthy alternative, I am in admiration of your denial.

Pony Girl and I did a test run of a carrot cake recipe yesterday (she is becoming quite the little cook), making cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. They turned out quite good and with a few adjustments, the recipe will be making it's debut as birthday cake with "pink frosting with a rainbow on it."

Lets not forget The Dress. Last year I made two birthday dresses because...well, obviously I had lost my mind.
There was this one...
...and this one.

This year, I will be making The Manhattan Dress from the book, Sewing Clothes Kids Love. Thank heavens it only has a gajillion pattern pieces and a whole lot of fiddly sewing bits!

Here is the question, do you think I can do it? Can I pull it all off? Please someone, be kind enough to hand me a small paper bag to hyperventilate into.

In light of all this and grandparents coming into town tomorrow, I shall be taking a short bloggy break.
To all of you that have left me such lovely comments of late, I thank you and apologize if I have not been able to return the favor. I do try to come over and read your wonderful blogs even if I don't leave a note.
Take good care my friends and wish me luck.

19 comments:

Floss said...

Don't panic! Have a virtual French paper bag (very stylish, very strong...) et rester Zen!

Well, carrot cake. It's Son 2's birthday cake of choice, too. It does contain a helping of carrots and oranges, I suppose. Just loads of sugar and fat, too!

Will be thinking of you both any time I see rainbow Pegasus-type things, which no doubt I will!

Katy said...

What a good mum you are! Good luck with it all x

crzylady said...

I do like her taste in party demands AND Love the dress.. Please tell me the ruffles will be in rainbow colors!

The nice thing is she's a child and things will fall into place nicely - and no one will notice the things that maybe aren't gotten around to. And YEA for not having it at the house! Then you don't have to clean until AFTER the party.

Sherri B. said...

The grandparents are coming...that should be the answer to most of the problems. We grandparents want to and love to help out with our favorite little people. When they say "can we help with anything?" just say yes and everyone will be happy. It will all work out as always. Happy Birthday Pony Girl!

june at noon said...

Oh, sounds like a lot of work! I bet if anyone can tackle it, you can. I mean, you've got a whole week. I wouldn't be writing this post until the day before! ;)

CurlyPops said...

Good luck with all of the preparations. I can't wait to hear how it all goes.... and what do you mean about carrot cake not being healthy... it's got carrot in it right, and if you use cream cheese frosting, then cheese is good for you too right???

diane said...

so fun! i can't even WAIT to see her in that dress- gonna be gorgeous!
happy birthday pony girl!! :) :)

lifeshighway said...

Good luck with all the preparations and when you can sit down and sigh with relief (after the celebration)
do remember us because we are all waiting to see your version of that fantastical dress.

Flaming Nora said...

Good luck! you can do it, a rainbow pegasus for a 5 yr old sounds a dream when I think of the Zombie dinosaur party coming up for my 7 yr old. At least you get to do it in great colours, mine will be all green and sludge. Well done on the carrot cake it may not be healthy, but surley it has some vitamins in it.

Mare said...

Happy Birthday to our Pony Girl! I am not surprised she would pick a Pegasus, especially a Rainbow one! She is so magical....I have no doubt that whatever you do to make this a special day, it will be done to everyone's delight. Pony Girl got her magical ways from her Momma!(just make sure to take it easy on yourself too!)

Ariella said...

The old cliche really is true---time flies! My son is almost 5 and it boggles my mind! Have a magical and wonderful day----happy birthday to all of you!

Mom L said...

You can do it! You can do it! And that dress is awesome....

After all, you have a whole week!

Nancy in Iowa

Pia K said...

but really, i have a recipe for a carrot cake that IS healthy. really. and others as well. but there is such a thing as health for the soul too and all cakes (the good ones) fall into that category! i hate frosting actually, it's disgustingly sugary and i don't like it at all. problem is it makes cakes and cupcakes look so very pretty. so they please my eyes but not my palate.

the dresses are so very cute and quirky! i think i prefer the top red/white one for a rainbow pegasusy party.

happy weekend! and yes of course you can make that velvety dress, it's stunning and i wouldn't mind having one myself:)

Pia K said...

...just realized that you're making the velvet dress for this year, oh good luck!!

Lady O said...

It was lovely meeting you last night... it dawned on me this morning that I met you and pony girl once before at the biscuit and gravy cook off! The more my life expands, the smaller it becomes. ~blessings on upon you!

Lady O said...

~and your little girly too!

Pomona said...

Hope the party went well - those frocks are so beautiful - you are a clever thing!

Pomona x

Pam said...

Oh my that dress is divine! I'm a bit late to comment on your ability to make it obviously, but if you've made those others, then I'm sure you would have be able to do this one! Hope to see some pics in a post soon.
Also hope the week has gone easily and you got everything done you wanted to, and that it was(but then you're in the States so you may not have had it just yet!) a beautiful day for you all. :)

Aussie-waffler said...

How did you go with the dress ? Piccy ? I bet you did a wonderful job and just for the record, I adore both of your dresses from last year.