Friday, March 26, 2010

Sprung



We have reached about the half way mark of our year of A Challenge of the Utmost Kind. A year of only buying second hand or handmade goods for the home and closet. Is it just me, or is time flying by at an alarming rate?

We have learned from this weeks posts that it is easy being green, it is good to live local and now a small recap and thoughts on this challenge business. It's all connected you see, at least in my mind.

I have to tell you, it has not been nearly as challenging as I would have thought. I have not fallen from grace at all. Not even a whisper of temptation, I have remained steadfast and righteous through and through! Alright, that is a bit of a fib. There was that one wee wobble concerning some footwear, I tortured myself by looking at their loveliness a little too long. In the end though, I remained strong. Then I heard the talk about Liberty of London coming to Target, be still my beating heart! I discovered during an unrelated trip to said store, I really had no trouble passing it by. Although my cart did mysteriously make a sudden lunge towards the Liberty puddle jumpers and I had to act quick to get it back on track to the band-aid aisle.

The challenge has rekindled my passion for thrifting, which is a bit of a double edged sword. I have come across many lovelies that have made my heart sing. I made my first ever purchase from etsy (see the cool textile bobbins in the picture at the top of the post) and then I made another. I have received amazing gifts from fellow challengers (see the beautiful bouquet of vintage knitters in the top pic. from the utmost challenger herself, Dottie Angel!). These treasures have made me feel most grand and I love them more than any mass produced item that may tempt me. It has also taught me what an amazing community of "friends" I have here.


I made some exceptions recently. For Pony Girl's birthday I bought her a gift of a new camera, the extra tough kind, can be dropped over and over (it said so right on the package), and I am feeling pretty good about that purchase. As well as the paint that will soon be bought for the lounge (I will be sure to go good on the environment when selecting).

I do have some concern over my closet for the second half of the challenge, it is quite poor in the summer clothes department. I shall have to devote a couple of my precious thrifting safaris to hunting down the elusive animal that is the summer wardrobe.

All in all, it has been a good first half and I so appreciate what I have been blessed with in this life. What more could I want?
Can a trip to the islands be considered handmade?

Have a lovely weekend dears!

13 comments:

Cath @ chunkychooky said...

See if I was brave enough to do the challenge, of which I am not, however am enjoying following those who are, i would think you could swap some summer clothes for soe Winter ones with someone on the other side of the equator... maybe? just a thought...

Pam said...

lol. Your post made me laugh! Hope those band-aids were second-hand (eewww) or handmade!! lol.
Cath's idea about the clothes swap does sound a good plan, if it's do-able.
I love the very green idea behind the whole challenge though. Much good luck with the other half of it, and I'm sure you'll come through with flying colours. :)

lifeshighway said...

You have been strong and diligent. I admire you commit to the project and have enjoyed the journey as you have shared it with us.

A trip to the island could be considered handmade if the engineer can build you a Gilligan style raft.

Lola Nova said...

Cath, that's a good idea! I'll have to think on it though, it might be tough to match sizes and don't know that anyone would want my threadbare clothes :)

Miss Prudence said...

oh that gorgeous pyrex - one of my passions!
What a challenge - I have my own challenge going this winter called the "making do" challenge, i am not to buy ANY clothes at all. I have to make them or buy them second hand. hmmmm. not sure about a year. How far are you in?

Sherri B. said...

You are so good about the challenge. I did not commit to it but I have changed the way I purchase because of the entire idea around it. Can I find it second hand I ask myself, and have been quite suprised how often indeed I do find it. On Easter at our family gathering I plan on asking if everyone would consider exchanging handmade or thrifted gifts for next Christmas..I think that should be plenty of time...Thanks Lola, you are a true inspiration.

june at noon said...

Good for you! I still buy some things new, but have found it's really quite easy to make it myself or go second-hand when I want to. Very little extra effort involved, really, and some very nice things to be had!

Vic said...

Oh you are rocking the challenge my dear, and I heartily applaud you for it! If it weren't for moving into the humble cottage I would have taken up the challenge too - but new things shall need to be bought around here, and have already been, like pickets & white picket paint... ;)

Mind you, I am ethical clothing challenging it up & am pretty impressed by my efforts, if I do say so myself. Jeans, shirts, shoes... all perfectly lovely & thifty & cheap. I do fear the coming months however - oppies are lacking in fashionable maternity wear... don't tell me I'll have to break out the sewing machine & create some sort of mumu monstrosity?!

Don't mind me drooling over that snazzy pyrex up there... *sigh*

harmony and rosie said...

Congrats on reaching the half way mark. I never really thought about the lesson to be learned from it though. I mean, our parents/grandparents lived for years in this way because there simply wasn't any alternative and you're right, we rarely stop to think about just how lucky we all are.

You've come up with some amazing props, the kittens linen is just stunning, I absolutely love it!

Kate x

Tania said...

I hadn't considered band aids with the Challenge. So, so thrilled to hear they are new! But for the rest, I have loved watching your thrifty finds (you've made me want to cook casseroles after this post)...

diane said...

i REALLY want to start seeing some of pony girl's photos from her new camera. hoping for a dead mouse shot from her ; )

Claire MW said...

Loved the photos, and also the ones from the previous blog on the market. I can't believe the produce at your market now. We'll be at least July before we see any of that sort of thing, and never as varied. I loved the vintage Pyrex bowls! Reminded me of a set I used to own. Sigh.

Michelle said...

Lola...I too have found the time has just flown past...
and am so glad that you have managed so well...I have wavered with new paint after the "found" paint wasn't enough to do any job big enough...
and at christmas it was really all to much for me seeing as though it has always been my job to help santa with his gifting ways, but I was very conservative with bough goods...
I love your pyrex bowls they are just lovely...
and love reading your sweet posts...