Friday, October 22, 2010

C'mon join the fun!

So, it's Friday and I'm all outta ideas. I know, it's time for another weekly self portrait thing! Man, I gotta come up with a catchy name for this experiment, any suggestions? Also, considering some of the comments and reactions I received on my introductory post about this, I think that some of you should join me! C'mon, you know you want to, it's easy, it's fun, and it's good for you! We could pick which day of the week we would post our pictures, it could be done on our blogs or I could start a flickr group or...ooh, we could pick a theme or a keyword for each portrait and, and...
Well contrary to my first sentence, it seems I am indeed full of ideas. Or maybe just full of the dickens!

Anyway, some things I learned about that first photo foray into self discovery were:
1. I have more gray hair than I realized.
2. For every passable shot there are at least 20 others that are ridiculous.
3. I was reminded of the words from an 80's Camper Van Beethoven song, "you know, you really shouldn't take yourself so seriously. If you want to know why, it's 'cause no one else does."
4. Have fun.

So, in the spirit of the last two, here is this weeks self portrait. It's all about the silly.
This was actually intended to be a lighting test, not a true shot. There is no editing but for a little cropping. Just me, no make up, a funny hat, a poofy skirt and a guitar. It is not a good shot from a photography standpoint, it isn't clever in the least but, it gave me a chuckle. And the guitar isn't just a prop, I actually do play but, there is absolutely no reason for it to be in the photo (other than it was on the bed at the time). I do love the morning light that comes through our bedroom window.
To see this photo on black click HERE.

Well, like I said, you should join me, really!

Have a lovely weekend!

12 comments:

Debby said...

I love it. Silly and sweet.

Sherri B. said...

I love your poofy skirt...I'm ascared to join in, maybe later.

Isn't it something how different the black makes it look, I really like it.

Have a great day.

A Bun Can Dance said...

Alex !
It's a great photo you've made !! I love the colours - and the hat with your plaits - it's just fab! Wow, if this is what you're doing in week 2, just imagine where these self portraits will take you !?!
Also a little scared to join in ...
Denise x

willywagtail said...

It's a memorable photo. Definitely a keeper. Well done. Cherrie

Floss said...

Just off to bed, everyone tired, but I found I had to click when I saw the thumbnail of your photo on my blog, and thought to myself: 'So what is she up to now?'

Thanks for the silly.

And for your kind message to me too.

willow and moo said...

I like the photo, but I have to admit that the fluffy skirt made me giggle.

I just noticed last week that I had some gray hair. I stopped getting my hair lightened over a year ago and I think with my hair becoming darker, the grays are more noticeable.

Kate said...

LOVE the photo and it makes me very happy to see that I'm not the only gal who wears her tutu about the house just for fun. have a wonderful weekend. X

Aussie-waffler said...

I wanna tutu "Waaaaaah". I just love your self portrait Alex, you make me smile, and you didn't even have to put virtual ram horns on your head to do it :) x

harmony and rosie said...

Fab photo, love the outfit. Been looking back through your posts - my that pie looks good, as do PG's new trews!

Cath @ chunkychooky said...

I wish I had a tutu.
I can't believe I don't.
Great pic!

Flaming Nora said...

Brilliant!
Can't wait to see what you come up with next!

Pia K said...

gorgeousness! the light is fantastic (and sadly i have nothing similar whatsoever in my home). i think it's truly great that you stick to this self-portrait thing, the right angle, the right light, the right props and a few tries and there can be enjoyment to see yourself in a photo. (which happens to me about every 7th year or so). the thing i see in mirror is fine, the thing i see in pic is anything but, that's really not me. i've most always thought this, but it has become even worse with years. you're an inspiration!