Monday, October 4, 2010

Hello Monday - Notes from the underground


Hello, nice to be back from the underground...the basement that is. I have survived but, only just and the work is still not complete. Great strides were made though, and I have managed to add a bit of extra square footage to my creative space so - that is a victory indeed. I have also had a grand time re-discovering some items that have been packed away.

There was one unfortunate and harrowing experience; one day just before lunch, I ended up tripping over a wayward candlestick thus falling into an Everest of camping gear. Just as I was about to regain my balance and right myself, I noticed the mountain begin to wobble. The next thing I knew I was on the ground buried under a tent fly, 3 sleeping bags, an air mattress, and an LED lantern. Last week one of my lovely readers gave me some rather sound advice, concerning carrying with me a flask of tea, a reel of string, some sticky buns and a whistle. I took along a travel mug of coffee, a ball of yarn, and not having a whistle nor (sadly) any sticky buns on hand, I packed instead, some banana bread and a Kazoo.

As I lay there pinned under the debris, stomach growling from hunger, I looked longingly at the the banana bread and coffee quite out of reach on top of the washing machine. Reaching for the Kazoo to sound the alarm for help, I noticed it had been rather crushed in the avalanche and could only manage to get a slight wheezing noise from it. As the minutes ticked away my hunger grew intense. Being sometimes the clever sort, I grabbed for what was handy with my free arm, which happened to be a bellows and used it as a reaching tool. It took some doing but, I was able to roll a jar of year old apple butter into my grasp. Removing the lid took cunning and the breaking of a few laws of physics however, I did get it undone and my hunger was relieved.

Time passed and I wondered how I was going to make school pick up that afternoon. Fortunately for me, a friend had decided to stop by and after seeing the back door ajar, she came in to investigate. Following the trail of yarn, she found me. In short work I was extricated from under the pile... a little sore, a lot sticky and smelling vaguely of apples and cinnamon.

All is well that ends well but, I do think it wise to invest in a good loud whistle for next time.

8 comments:

Wendy said...

Hilarious! Glad you survived your ordeal! Love the Fisher-Price!

june at noon said...

Oh, dear. See, that's why cleaning out is just a bad thing. Too dangerous! :)

Cath @ chunkychooky said...

I have never heard of apple butter but it sounds divine!! I am glad it saved your hunger.

Sherri B. said...

Oh my! I am so glad you survived the avalanche and will remember to take my whistle with me as I venture into my guest room/ junk room/ future studio. You inspired me so last week when you spoke of your grand and brave plan to tackle your basement. I felt it high time to get to it when I had to get my electric griddle off of the pile only to find the paper work I need balanced on a string of Christmas lights...Perhaps I should take in some apple butter just in case.

Have a great Monday.

A Bun Can Dance said...

So funny! The bellows !!
It sounds like it really is not safe to go into your cellar alone and I hope you will enlist the help of the Engineer / Pony Girl, when you venture there again...
I loved to read that you are keen on red and turquoise right now - such a gorgeous combination, aren't they and always a delight to the eye. I hope you'll get busy with the patches and share your colourway with us :-)
Now go find that whistle !!
D xx

Flaming Nora said...

A kazoo, now there was thinking. A friend of mine once tried to persuade me to join a kazoo orchestra. In retrospect I wish I had.

. said...

I do love a kazoo, however I can honestly say that my life has never been fuller since the purchase of a vu vu wotsit, just like the ones at the World Cup.
I'm a frantic vu vuer, but my favourite blow has to be out the window of my Beetle when the traffic lights go green... Tally Ho!

Flaming Nora said...

Apparently there is also a vuvusela orchestra. The world is a wonderful and exciting place.