Wednesday, July 23, 2008

I Promised Pie




Fruit Pies In the Hand. How much do I love pie? So much. These homely treats were inspired by the beautiful peaches we got at the farmers market. They sat for a few days ripening to full potential and called me to action today. Then, a pint of fresh raspberries made their plea and so, it was on. I thought I had it all planned out and was happily on my way to pie, when...
The Muppet movie ceased to be entertaining, 3 trips to the potty were at emergency speed, apparently flour is more interesting on the floor - all over the floor, a peach thief was afoot, there was a kitty hostage crisis and murals were being painted on the living room wall (I swear I don't know where she found the permanent marker). Still, we ended up with pie and after all, isn't that the most important thing? Yes, yes it is.
...and I think my daughter's abstract free-form tarts are visually superior to my fussy half moons.
How I made these little pies:
Favorite pie crust recipe rolled out.
Filling:
4 peaches cut up
1/2 - 1 cup sugar
1 Tbs. Tapioca starch
1 Tbs. Fresh lemon juice
Smidge freshly grated nutmeg
Pinch ground cinnamon
Mix it up and then toss gently with 1/2 pint raspberries
So you can cut out circles of the dough and fill then fold over and seal the half circles, or free-form it, even line rammekins with dough, fill and cover with more dough...basically you can do as you please and see if it pleases you. Bake on baking sheet at 375 till golden brown and bubbly.
Here is a tip: These are messy. I lined my baking sheets with parchment paper- those were easy to clean, the rest of the kitchen less so.

No comments: