Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Bread


I haven't made this bread in such a long time, I forgot how good it is. I usually try to make bread that's a little bit on the healthy side, you know - of the whole wheat, seed and dense variety but, today I made egg bread. It's of the moist, eggy and slightly sweet variety. Oh my heavens, this stuff is so tasty. It makes the best peanut butter and jam sandwiches, I tell you what!

This picture was taken 5 minutes after it came out of the oven, seriously. Half of the loaf just disappeared.

This bread recipe is for the bread machine. I don't know where I originally got this from, it's been in my personal cook book for a few years. The following recipe makes one large loaf.

Egg Bread

If your bread machine has a 1.5 lb. setting, set it there.
Select the Dough setting on your machine.
Place all ingredients in bread pan in order given.

3/4 cup milk
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons melted butter
1/4 cup sugar (you can use a little less if you like)
3 cups Bread Flour
2 teaspoons Active Dry Yeast

Press Start on machine. After about ten minutes of kneading take a look at your dough, if it is too dry or stiff add more milk one Tbs. at a time until it looks right. (a smooth, soft ball that is slightly tacky to the touch)
Let machine continue to end of dough cycle. Preheat oven to 350. Remove dough and shape into a greased, lightly floured 9x5x3 loaf pan. Cover with a tea towel and let rise in a warm place for another 20 - 30 min. Place bread on the middle wrack of oven and bake for...ok this is where I am really bad - I don't time my bread, I just watch for it to become a lovely golden brown and sounds hollow when I thump it. So, I'd say you should keep an eye on it at 20 min. Sorry guys. I will try to remember to time it next time.
When done, carefully remove loaf from pan and let cool on wire wrack until you can't stand it anymore and enjoy!

Now you could let it bake in your machine but, to tell you the truth, I get much better results by baking in the oven.

I just had to post this picture, it cracked me up. I have been trying to use clear visual cues for my daughter - to help reinforce information for better processing. I think it might be useful for Mama too!



3 comments:

Unknown said...

I plan to try your recipe. Looks good and I still have my bread machine out. There is nothing better than the smell of fresh baked bread. I love the stop sign. Do you think if I put crime scene tape around my fridge it would help me? I need lots of visual cues.

Mare said...

MmmMmm!!! That looks so darn good! I am addicted to bread baking, and unfortunately...eating it too. :)

diane said...

that looks really good-abd i love the visual clue :)
and your felt lovebirds too- so cute!